Re: Video player package without Gnome/KDE requirements

|> Xine looks rather nice and doesn't have that many dependencies as
|> VLC.  Now I only need to know how I get the /dev/dvd device. Is
|> there a package for that as well or is it somewhere documented?

Xine is really excellent as an all-purpose multimedia player. Some of
its core developers are also Debian developers, and so the Debian
packages track the latest releases in a very timely and well
coordinated way. The most recent release is in Debian unstable.

If you should want to view `enhanced' (i.e. encrypted) DVDs, you will
also need the libdvdcss libraries. These are not available as official
Debian packages (because of their unclear legal status), but there are
unofficial Debian packages available here:

	    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/index.html

for stable, testing and unstable.

Jim