Re: can't retrieve large numbers of email

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 09:06:08AM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I had a similar problem
>
> It turns out that my ISP had some spam messages with a single "." on a line by
> itself.  Instead of escaping these, it was transmitting then to me - which
> was causing fetchmail to think it had got to end of message, was therefore
> using a command to get the next one.  The confused the ISP pop3 server and it
> closed the connection, this not acting on the delete commands it already had.
> Next time around it retrieved all the messages again.
>
> To get around it, I had to manually telnet into my ISPs pop3 server and issue
> the delete command manually for that message.
>
> In about 1400 spam messages on the server 2 had this problem.
>
> I also changed fetchmail to retrieve mail from my isp using IMAP.  The delete
> commands are issued and acting upon every message so I am hoping I don't get
> the large backlog of messages that resulted from the last occurance.
>
> (This is the backup route to my mail, so I had not noticed it had happened
> because I had stopped receiving mail - but because, all of a sudden I
> realised I was seeing the same messages over and over again.  By the time I
> had discovered it, there was 1400 messages stuck at my isp).

I don't think this is the source of my problem, because I'm using the
IMAP protocol and the messages download fine if I wait 10 or 15
minutes; there never is any single message that is creating problems.
Given the error message 10, I think it is because fetchmail cannot
find an open smtp port.  Why, I have no idea.   Thanks,
Ric