Re: Obsessed with a clean system

Loki wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>

>>>I cheated on my mirror: I installed a Squid server and pointed apt at that
>>>proxy.  That way, there's no penalty of downloading more packages than
>>>needed, but additional hosts benefit from the packages already downloaded
>>>by earlier hosts.
>

> Well yeah, if you have infinite disk space to devote to your cache. :)
> Also, things cycle out of the cache. They expire, or you run out of cache
> space and Squid wisely deletes cache objects. It's good, but a mirror is
> better.

You don't need infinite disk space to make use of a cache.  You only
need enough to store the sets of packages that you use.  I'm about to
build a new mail/proxy/web server with 80 Gb drives in RAID 1.  About 5
of that 80 Gb will be required for the actual work of the server (the
current machine has 4 Gb total), and i could easily spare 40 Gb for cache.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>