Re: advice needed: CMS for constructing a CVS-based file library front end

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:34:48AM -0400, Chris Metzler wrote:

> I'm looking for advice on a CMS, ideally one available from Debian.  The
> main purpose is to provide a nice front-end to a file library, enabling
> users to upload, browse/search the contents, and download.

Sounds like subversion/apache/WebDAV will do most of what you what here.

> Other content will eventually be provided also, but the file library
> is the main thing.

Hm. subversion/apache/WebDAV might not play too well with "other
content"...

> Ideally, either few restrictions should be placed upon the file library
> structure, or (even better) the CMS should play well with CVS
> repositories, because the downloadable files are to be drawn from a CVS
> repository (unfortunately, I can't just have the users browse the CVS
> repository directly).  Uploaded stuff will go into some sort of quota'd
> dir, to be checked into CVS by admins as appropriate.

Nope. svn is a cvs replacement (although not backward compatible)

It really depends on what you *expect* from a CMS; just sharing/storing
documents is what WebDAV is targetted against..

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com