Re: Using sarge with 2.2 kernel?

Richard Cobbe wrote:

Greetings, all.

I'm current running stable.  I understand that sarge is likely to be
released fairly soon now.  Even if it's not, external pressures (access
to svn, gcc 3.3) will likely force me to upgrade in any case.

In light of that, could someone comment on how well sarge works with a
2.2 kernel?  I gather that, since the 2.2 kernels are still available in
sarge, it should work on some level, but I'd like to hear more details.

2.2 is not a standard option in Sarge:
summer@Dolphin:~$ apt-cache search kernel-image-2.2
summer@Dolphin:~$ apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4 | head -2
kernel-image-2.4.25-1-386 - Linux kernel image for version 2.4.25 on 386.
kernel-image-2.4.25-1-586tsc - Linux kernel image for version 2.4.25 on Pentium-Classic.

I'd also love to upgrade to 2.4, but I have not yet been able to figure
out how to get DMA working reliably on my hard drive under the 2.4
series.  I have a couple of additional things I want to try; if those
fail, then I'll start another thread with details on that.

best you sort out 2.4,or better. 2.6. You can test 2.6 with the latest Knoppix.

I don't recommend 2.6 on Woody, you get to replace half your software anyway.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait