Re: apache2 and php4

Thomas Adam wrote:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:13:15PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
I don't understand.

If you have apache2 installed, and php4 wants to use apache1 stuff
(which to me is perfectly reasonable, given that apache2 is rather
recent), then use equivs to "trick" the system into thinking you

Yeah, Apache2 has only been around a couple of years or so. I think RH used it in RHL 8.0.

actually _do_ have apache1 installed. Equivs just provides dummy
packages to fufill dependencies. You can read up on it, from
the 'equivs' package, oddly enough.

IC.

I quote:
Please note that this is a crude hack and if thoughtlessly used,
it might possibly do damage to your packaging system. And please
note as well that using it is not the recommended way of dealing
with broken dependencies. Better file a bug report instead.

I thought I filed a bug report some time ago. I'll check that. Ican imagine this is likely not to work, I expect the linkage is there because php4 actually uses apache1 libraries.

I'll hold off an that one and see if anyone says whether this actually works (or doesn't).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait