Re: Problem in Sarge with IDE controler

Diego A. Puertas F. wrote:

Hello

I've just installed sarge i386, using a net installation with floppy
disks. The PC has 2 SCSI disks and 1 IDE.

Since most of the system is installed in the scsi disks (the IDE is a
FTP site) the computer works just fine except for the fact that it
doesn't recognize the IDE controler. The bios can see the IDE disk
without problem, and I've booted using a Knoppix CD and there is no
problem with the IDE disk.

When I boot with Sarge, the system don't recognize the IDE disk, no
module for IDE is loaded. The modules exists in
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ , I load them manualy and
still, no IDE disk is recognized.

The IDE controler appears in /proc/pci as follows:

 Bus  0, device  12, function  1:
   IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
     Master Capable.  Latency=64.
     I/O at 0x1000 [0x100f].

But there is not an interruption asigned for IDE in /proc/interrupts ,
and, of course, neither appears and ide disk listed in /proc/devices .

I've installed with kernel 2.4.26 and have allready probed with 2.4.25
and 2.6.7, 2.6.7 doesn't boot (kernel panic!) and 2.4.25 doesn't
recognize the disk either.

I have a system similar to yours though it got there very differently: booting on-board SCSI with IDE drives.

This may help:
summer@ns:~$ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ide-cd
ide-detect

uhci-hcd
usbkbd
piix
3c59x

summer@ns:~$
You probably want the ide and piix entries. Add them, reboot.

Report problem and results to boot-floppies.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait