screen messing with tab completion and other annoyances

Hello, I've searched for these but I can't find an answer:

Screen, as configured by default, uses <tab> <tab> two switch windows,
but this is annoying since it blocks tab completion for the shell and
I can't find anything in the documentation about how to turn this off
(or even that this binding exists).

Also, when sshing under screen to another machine (running RedHat,
unfortunately) the erase character turns (don't know why) into ^H
according to stty -a and this messes less, to fix this I tried to do:

stty erase ^?

but stty -a stills shows erase=^H.

Does anyone knows how to fix either (or better:  both!) of these
problems.

TIA,

jorge