Re: Internet Explorer 6 on Debian Unstable

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 08:31:03PM -0400, Gregory Pierce wrote:
> I don't know if this has already been suggested, but you can emulate the
> whole Windows XP (or any other brand of WIndows) environment with a
> proprietary package called VMware.  Unfortunately, it does a cost a
> small sum, ~$200.

Well worth the money. At first I was a bit sceptical about VmWare, but
after using it for several years, I'm a big fan of the product.
Not just for running Windows, but for doing any installation/recovery testing.
With VmWare testing a new backup system or Linux distribution that might
result in reinstalling the whole box is really easy. If things go
wrong, just get the backup of the virtual machines hard disk and start
over.

There's of course the old school way, which is to use Ghost or some
other method for making disk images and restoring them. And then
there's the ancient school that has lots of boxes that are constantly
being reinstalled. But these have the problem of being hardware
dependent, so you can't really move installations to different machines.
By using virtual machines you can just copy them over the network.

Having said that, some people just don't like the virtual machine
approach, so it's best to grab evaluation copy of VmWare and try if
it fits your needs.

Pasi