Re: Piped package list

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Aaron Peters <acpkendo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I seem to recall seeing once that one of the package
> tools (dpkg, apt, or another, I don't remember) could
> save a package list that could later be piped as input
> to return a system to an identical list of packages
> with one command.  Am I crazy, and if not, how is this
> done?

No, not crazy at all. It's a very useful feature.

"dpkg --get-selections >& /file/to/output.txt"

"cat /file/to/output.txt | dpkg --set-selections"

"apt-get upgrade"

(man dpkg for more information.)

HTH & HAND,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #12:
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.