Re: Piped package list

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:17:01AM -0700, Aaron Peters wrote:
> I seem to recall seeing once that one of the package
> tools (dpkg, apt, or another, I don't remember) could
> save a package list that could later be piped as input
> to return a system to an identical list of packages
> with one command.  Am I crazy, and if not, how is this
> done?

One method of cloning debian installs is to take a current debian
machine that is setup with the packages you want. Run the  command
"dpkg --get-selections > ~/selectionfile". Then, after the base
install on other machines use that file and do: "dpkg
--set-selections < ./selectionfile && apt-get dselect-upgrade".

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.