Re: Sid is Sid, before or after a release, right?

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:39:25 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater
<amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Right. You should know what you are doing to run sid and, ideally, be
> subscribed to at least debian-devel - sid can be dynamically unstable
> on very rare occasions.

In the last 6 months I got tired of breakages - albeit minor ones -
which I suffered on an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade basis. It
wasn't so much of a problem when my hobby was basically `running
debian' as appose to `using debian' - but once I started writing my
dissertation or trying to do something serious like job applications,
or writing code without distracting myself, it got too much.

My new sid routine is to never apt-get upgrade. I sub to the security
warning lists and update or disable any effected packages; other than
that I hold everything unless I know an update fixes a bug I am
suffering from or I want a feature in a more recent package.

Mind you right now things are just as broken. I succumed to an upgrade
in order to provide more feedback on an X bug (oh, helpful me) as I
was too lazy to figure out how to make aptitude simply upgrade any
packages that were, or depended on, the source package xfree86. The
result was I caned my nvidia drivers :(

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com