Re: Need lilo help - won't boot Win2k

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:20, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a triple boot system with three drives:
>
>    * /dev/hda - 80  GB PATA drive with Debian (root is /dev/hda5)
>    * /dev/hde - 250 GB SATA drive with Win2k (root is /dev/hde1)
>    * /dev/hdg - 200 GB SATA drive with Debian (root is /dev/hdg6)
>
> # compact
> boot=/dev/hda
> lba32
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> prompt
> delay=30000
> timeout=30000
> vga=normal
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
>         root=/dev/hdg6
>         label=bleedinglinux
>         read-only
>
> # Debian installed kernel
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-386
>         root=/dev/hdg6
>         label=newlinux
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386
>         read-only
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
>         root=/dev/hda5
>         label=pata_bleeding
>         read-only
>
> # Debian installed kernel
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-386
>         root=/dev/hda5
>         label=pata_new
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386
>         read-only
>
> other=/dev/hde1
>         label=win2k

I use grub for the exact reasons you point out. You *CAN* recover grub
from a bad setup, without resorting to a boot disk.

here is a good example of what I have found that works for me, with grub
(curses be that LILO, arrrr)(wait it isn't talk like a pirate day...
oops). These say WinXP, but are literally the same setup for W2K.

Either one of these works for me:

title   WinXP hd0<->hd1+hd1
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

title   WinXP 0x80<->0x81+hd1
        map (0x81) (0x80)
        map (0x80) (0x81)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

Of course, now that we are getting into grub proper now, I suggest that
you do the "Right Thing"(tm).

I "apt-get install grub". Then I "grub-install /dev/hda". I then make
sure no /boot/grub/menu.lst exists, then run update-grub.

Then add the WinXP thingers at the end of the menu.lst.

Read through the menu.lst, and be amazed.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux