Re: restarting network connections

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:01:35PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 08/09/04 18:10, Paul Maser wrote:
> >Besides rebooting, how do you restart the network connections
> >after making changes to /etc/network/interfaces?
> >Thanks;
> >

> Hmm... unlike the other responders, I've done this with /sbin/ifup, but
> I'm no expert, just a humble desktop user.  Perhaps the experts can shed
> light on the different approaches?

I like to go with /etc/init.d/networking restart

perhaps overkill, since it reconfigures all the interfaces, but it works
nicely.

The main trap, is not to type "/etc/init.d/networking stop", from a
remote location... d'oh

Last time  did that fortunately, someone was there to push the reset
button when I rang up :)

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a