Ugly fonts on new KDE installation

I just installed Debian on a new computer here using the new installer, then
upgraded completely current to unstable.  I installed the Tahoma truetype
font, but it looks really funky (fuzzy/uneven) in KDE.  I use the same font
on my regular desktop and it looks nice and crisp.  Both the new machine and
my regular desktop are 100% upgraded with unstable, but I just can't get the
new machine's Tahoma font to look crisp the way it looks on my machine.  I
believe I have the same font/x-related packages installed on both.

Both using kernel-image-2.4.26-1-k7
Both using xserver-xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6
New machine using radeon driver, desktop using nvidia

The new system DOES have the font path in XF86Config-4, and I can select
Tahoma as a font in the Control Panel, it just looks really bad (looks sort
of like it's selecting a replacement font instead of rendering Tahoma).

What could be working on my desktop system that's not working on the new
machine to make Tahoma look nice and crisp?

	Sean O'Dell