Problems finding X when configuring

Whenever i try to configure anything (by running ./configure), It always stops at "/Checking for X/" or "/Checking for libXext/" or "/Checking for X Includes/" . Im fairly sure that my computer has xfree86 installed, (ive ran */apt-get install xserver-xfree86/*) and i believe the directory to xserver "stuff" is at /*/usr/X11R6/lib/X11*/. So, ive even tried running configuring scripts with the command */./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/

/*But, i am fairly new to linux, so, maybe I am missing something obvious to everyone else. Can someone help me figure out why I cant get anything to configure past this point?

Thanks!
Shawn McCuan
mccuan@wave3.org