Mozilla profile problem

I have a problem with Mozilla. For some reason Mozilla is asking me to choose a profile (I think something must have got upgraded).

I cannot choose my "default" profile. I've had a similar problem in the past where I created a new profile and then copied the folder to the new profile name.

I create a new profile and I can see that a directory is created in the .mozilla folder but there are still no profiles to choose from (in the GUI).

Another strange thing is choosing folders. It seems to be ignored altogether.

What is happening with my Mozilla (testing dist) ???
I can't get to all my email folders, address books, etc.

Many thanks for any help.
Regards,
Brendan Simon.