Re: email questions...

Monique Y. Mudama said:
> On 2004-08-06, John Summerfield penned:
>>
>> Using your ISPs relay also works well, and has other benefits too. Such as
taking your mail more quickly than the remote site(s),
>> especially if you send mail to lots of people.
>>

> I don't think I understand this.  Why would using an ISP's relay speed up
the mail transfer?  Because your own server only sends one copy and the
ISP's server then chunks it up for everyone?  (That's just a guess; haven't
looked into it.)

Because rather than sending to the MX provided by DNS for whatever domain you
are sending the email for, and having to send to multiple MX servers, you are
always sending your emails to the one, closer, faster MTA (your ISP's).

This is very handy for me, as any traffic that is through my ISP's network or
state's Internet Exchange, is free traffic. So, rather than using up any quota
on SMTP traffic, all my SMTP is free (which for me is quite a bit). --
Robert Vangel
  * RedFlag LANfest
    Network Services Management