Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck

Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net> writes:

> I'm going to get myself kicked in the nuts.
>
> I think mutt + offlineimap is what you need.
>
> Mutt does native Maildir support, so you won't have to screw with hard
> links or whatever that gnus stuff was.  Just sync it up normally.
>
> Google for 'mutt header cache' - it's _awesome_.  It will cache the
> maildir and imap headers so that opening up those mailboxes with 10k messages
> is quick.  The maintainer of that patch is hoping to get it merged
> into mutt, but until then, there's a .deb of the current Debianized
> mutt with the patch
> (http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/mutt/mutt_1.5.6-20040722+1_i386.deb).
> See the page for instructions on use, and make sure to hold mutt so
> the offical Debian package doesn't overwrite it.

Yeah, I'm aware of the patch.  It's been around for many years.  It was
originally written and maintained by Michael Elkins, the main author of
mutt, so why it has never been integrated is beyond me.

If that patch were all I needed to get mutt to work the way I want, that
would be fine.  Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the other problems I
have with mutt.

--
You win again, gravity!