Re: `who` output keeps showing logins that have really logged out.

Tom wrote:
> * [Friday 30 July 2004 15:34] Adam Funk:
>

>>For a few weeks now I've been finding logins listed in the `who`
>>output that are not really logged in.  I've found out how to clear
>>them (`cat /dev/null>/var/run/utmp`) but I'd like to cure the
>>problem.  The false entries all seem to refer to xterm sessions
>>(running bash but without the -l option), but only a few xterm
>>sessions fail to get registered as logged out.
>

> Pretty useless reply, but I've noticed the same thing. It's been like
> that for several months here, now.

Every Unix implementation has had their utmp implementation broken for
months or years at a time at least once.  HP-UX did it twice in the
9.x-10.x series.  It's just a fact of life - use ps or something else.  :-)

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>