Re: Why Does KPackage Want to Pretty Much Wipe Out My System?

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 21:20, Travis Crump wrote:

> You already have the qt libraries properly installed, after all
> everything in KDE depends on them so how could you not[if you have
> KDE installed].  They are called libqt3c102-mt.  libqt3 is the
> gcc2.95 version which isn't what you want.  Take a step back, a
> better question is why are you having problems installing knewspost?
> Where did you get it[since it doesn't appear to be in debian]?  What
> form is it in[source, rpm, deb]? What have you tried? What led you to
> the erroneous conclusion that you wanted to install libqt3?  You
> appear to be running a sarge/sid mix, so take stable out of your
> sources.list at which point you will see that libqt3 doesn't even
> exist anymore.

I downloaded knewspost from here:

http://www.semeniuk.net/linux/knewspost/

There's only 2 download and install possibilities, tarball and rpm.  I
went with the tarball.  After unpacking the archive, I tried to install
it with ./configure.  The procedure crapped out when it failed to find
the Qt libraries.  Here is the error message:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.2) (libraries) not
found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.

After a short Google search, I found this message thread, which is
essentially the same problem...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/15376

So following this advice...

export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt, I went ahead and did a

export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt and tried .configure again, but got the same
error.  I also tried export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt3, and again got the
same error when I did ./configure even though qt and qt3 are actually
there.

So, what else needs to be done for knewspost to install correctly?