Re: root file system has unknown type

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:13:02PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> csj <csj@zapo.net> writes:
>
> > On 2. August 2004 at 10:05PM -0700,
> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> >> Filesystem corruption most likely.
> >
> > What sort of filesystem corruption are we looking at?  I'm also
> > having the problem on a desktop system:
>
> I'm not sure, OP didn't provide enough clues to start with.

I didn't have more clues. There is no file system corruption, just when
you type mount it would say

/dev/hda1 on / type unknown (rw,commit=0)

Other then that everything was fine, but it did cause problems with
laptopmode as with journaled file systems you need to remount the file
system with the right commit option and you need to know the file
system for that.

I had the same behavior on 3 different computers and there is no reason
actually that file system corruption will cause this, since if the file
system is mounted then the file system type is known. That would mean
that the problem would be either a bug with mount or with the kernel,
or a feature of one off them that is being misused by something else.

BTW I just saw that it was fixed, at least for me in unstable after an
upgrade last night.