Re: version mess, help needed

Roberto Winter wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to install libncurses5-dev an this is what I get:
##########################
$ apt-get install libncurses5-dev Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.2.20020112a-7) but
5.3.20030719-4 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
##########################
I'm not using a mixed system (not intentionally!), but when I check
the policies for libncurses5 this weird output is what I get:
##########################
$ apt-cache policy libncurses5
libncurses5:
  Installed: 5.3.20030719-4
  Candidate: 5.3.20030719-4
  Version Table:
 *** 5.3.20030719-4 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.2.20020112a-7 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org stable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org stable/main Packages
##########################
So, I don't understand what is going on here, how can it be that the
installed version is not on any of my sources??
Well, nevermind that what I REALLY want is to be able to downgrade all
the packages to stable once again, so that I can install ncurses (and
some others!!!). I tried pinning by creating a /etc/apt/preferences
file containing:
##########################
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001
##########################
but when I do:
##########################
$ apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
##########################
(even if I do a 'apt-get update' before).
Well, I don't know what to do (or what I might be doing wrong...).
Perhaps someone can help me. If you answer could you please CC to me,
since I am not a subscriber to the list.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Roberto.

Hi,

`apt-get upgrade` doesn't do the complete upgrade - you need `apt-get dist-upgrade` (man apt-get for the difference...)

HTH,

Joris