Drupal and its database

Yesterday evening I set up drupal.  Because postgres is already installed (not
directly - it must be the result of some other package I am using) I asked it
to use postgres as its database

When ever drupal runs now, it reports a database error - this includes a cron
job which runs every 5 minutes - SO I got a lot of cron e-mail messages last
night.

One of the questions it asked my during the drupal installation was what was
the postgres administrators password.  I entered blank because I had never
thought about it or changed it before.  Is this correct?

How can I see if the drupal database got installed - or whether its because I
entered questions like this wrong during installation

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk