Re: kill process by name

In article <[🔎] 20040803204116.GB4098@chello.nl>,
Magnus Therning  <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 07:58:02PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>>On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 19:29, Muratorio, Diego wrote:
>>> Hello Rick, I am looking for the same, did you find something about
>>> kill process by name?
>>>

>>You want killall, from the psmisc package.
>
>Or 'pkill'. I've recently fallen in love with it, and it's cousin
>'pgrep'. Both are in the package procps.

Very true. "pkill" will work as expected on other OSes if it is
available. On the other hand, the killall command does something
*very* different on non-Linux OSes.

If you do "killall something" on Solaris as root, the system
goes down. *Hard*. Better not to get used to something dangerous
like that ("killall" should never have been called that under
Linux, but it's way too late to fix that).

Mike.
--
The question is, what is a "manamanap".
The question is, who cares ?