Re: install reboots, optiplex gx1

Alvin Oga wrote:

hi ya

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Tim Larson wrote:

Having trouble installing debian (woody). Root floppy reboots
immediately, no text printed.  Dell OptiPlex GX1 Bios A10
Anybody have a similar experience, ideas how to debug this,
or solutions?

whenever the silly pc reboots by itself during bootups ...
	- it means the kernel is not quite the one for the cpu you're
	trying to boot

( c3 vs p4 vs amd vs celeron vs ... or just plain bad hw ( or bad power supply or .. googleplex other reasons
That's the first think I thought of, but
The CPU's a Pentium II and should cope with pretty much any installer its sees.
Bootfloppies are,I believe, built fot 386.

Certainly hardware is a possibility: bad RAM for example. You can check that out with memtest86.

Rather than boot from floppy, if you can, install off the network. These machines can PXE-boot and PXE-booting is a fine way of installing anything.

Some of these need a BIOS upgrade, and you can easily find it on the Dell website. You might needs freedos to do the flash.

My experience with these machines has been goof. Incomparison with, say, Gateway and Gigabyte.

The boxes are very easy to work on. Two buttons to remove the cover. RAM immediately accessible.
One screw to remove HDD.
Floppy. CD drive just loft out.
PCI bus lifts out (there's a locking arm to lift).
Vendor BIOS upgrades easy to locate.
Tech support actually responds to email helpfully, even on these old boxes.
Mostly, they're quiet.
Every version of Linux I've tried just installs.

What does confuse me is the model numbers, gxa, gx110, gx100, gx1 and I think I've seen a gx1a. These all look the same.

Oh, you could also try the new debian-installer. It has an option to install Woody, and I think that branch needs testing.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait