Re: Synchronizing between Windows and Linux: character encoding problem

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

NLE> Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org> writes:
NLE>
NLE> > Hello there!
NLE> >
NLE> > I am trying to synchronize files between a laptop running either Windows
NLE> > XP or Debian and a Debian file server. I have tried rsync and unison on
NLE> > the Linux install of the laptop and rsync (under Cygwin) on the Windows
NLE> > install, but both were unable to transfer files with special characters
NLE> > (here: German umlauts) correctly.
NLE>
NLE> I don't know if the following is helpful, but there was a related message
NLE>  in the unison yahoo group (I found it on google).

But this message refers to the Windows version of unison, doesn't it? I am
using the Debian version, accessing files on a Windows (VFAT) partition
and synchronizing them with files on a Debian file server. So would this
still apply?

In addition, I have the same problems when using simple rsync (via ssh) or
even scp. Might there be a problem with some re-coding within ssh? Can it
be avoided?

If everything fails: who knows of a synchronisation tool (commercial if
necessary) that can synchronise files between WindowsXP/Debian on the one
side and Debian server (only access: ssh) on the other side?

Best regards, Stefan (debian @ goessling .de)