ALSA setup problem

I'm trying to get sound working under Sarge using ALSA. I'm confident
that my cables, speakers, etc. are working because I get sound from
Knoppix. I've found some instructions at the alsa web site which seem
to include consideration of details specific to Debian. My sound card
is CM8738. My kernel-image is 2.4.26-1-686. I have installed the
alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686. I have run alsaconf, and it found my sound
card and seemed to configure it. Much of what is in the instructions
from alsa web site seem already to have been done by debian install
scripts.  But, I tried reexecuting update-modules even though all the
recommended lines were already in /etc/modutils/ and I got:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-686/alsa/snd-pdaudiocf.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-686/alsa/snd-vx-cs.o

This looks bad to me. Is it? What do I do about it?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net