Installation plea: install with / and /boot on RAID 1

Hi folks,

A quick question: are there *any* Debian derivatives that support RAID 1
/ and /boot?  I just tried the latest debian-installer snapshot, and was
told when i tried to put them on RAID 1 that this was not supported.
I've logged a bug report, but since it explicitly states it's not
supported, i don't like my chances of getting it fixed anytime soon.  I
can't afford to run non-RAID on any of my systems (all but the one i'm
writing this on are servers), and hardware RAID isn't an option.

<Not_a_flame mode="frustrated; constructive criticism">
Red Hat have supported software RAID 1 installations since 7.3 (or
earlier perhaps - my memory is a bit faded).  How can Debian claim to be
a suitable server OS without supporting it?

Hardware RAID is not a suitable option on many systems, and not a
preferred one anyway, since software RAID is more portable - you can
take the hard disks from one machine and put them in another and they
just work.
</Not_a_flame>

I've tried Morphix, set up my RAID partitions manually, and installed to
them, and that seems to work, but because my drives are SATA, they are
very slow due to a pre-2.4.26 kernel deficiency in the Silicon Image
SI3112 driver.  Am i best to try an updated Morphix with a newer kernel?
 (I've previously used the latest 0.4 release.)

Thanks in advance,
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>
--
If at first you *do* succeed, carefully check your success metrics for
accuracy.