Re: Problens with sshd.

Leonardo Marques wrote:

Hello,

	I having problens with sshd, it doesnt starting and i dont know
	why.
	I looked in all files on /var/log and all i find about ssh was
	it:

	Jul 31 18:49:13 luciana sshd[5668]: fatal: daemon() failed:
	Success
1. Report a bug. That should not happen.
The technical reason for the Success message is this:
Many Unix functions return -1 when they fail, and one has to retrieve the variable errno to find what happened. That's the source of "permission denied," "connection refused," and so on messages.

If, however, the program uses another Unix function before retrieving errno, then the old value is lost and instead you get the value for the more recent function resulting in bugs of which this is one of the less harmful.

2. Run the startup script this way:
bash -x '. /etc/init.d/ssh start'

If I've got this right you well get great gobs of messages and be able to see whether and how it's started.

3.
You can also try starting it manually.

When you follow-up, what version of Debian & ssh are you using?

	That was in auth.log

	I already tryed purge and reinstall, and not diferent occured.

	I dont what i have to do, it dont reports any error:

	luciana:/var/log# /etc/init.d/ssh restart
	Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.

	Im using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on i686 based pc.

	I really dont what i have to do. If someone know something or
	have some idea, please, help me.

	Thanks, Leonardo Marques.

--

Cheers