Re: How to Move from 1 drive to another?

Silvan wrote:

On Saturday 31 July 2004 06:21 am, Jonathan Wheelhouse wrote:

I would boot a Linux Live CD like knoppix, partition and format the new
drive, copy everything from the old drive to the new one, chroot into the
"new" system, install a boot loader, reboot and be happy.
That is a lot easier then installation from scratch and you can keep
everything installed and configured so far.
This sounds like the least amount of work and still giving a good
result - I'll give it a go.

Off to read about chroot .

I'm not sure why you should need to bother with booting a live CD. I've done this lots of times. Put the new drive in, boot the existing installation, partition and format the new drive from the existing installation, mount its partitions somewhere temporarily, cp -a the stuff over as appropriate, edit its bootloader config and fstab as appropriate, chroot into it and run /sbin/lilo then reboot, and presto. You only need a rescue CD if you screw something up. (Which I've certainly done, yes, so keep that CD in your back pocket. :)

This does not copy any open files properly. Running mysql or postgresql? Stuffed database.

Single-user mode? maybe okay. Mounted filesystems ro? fine.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait