Re: Fixing Wireless PC Card 16550A UART Serial Device Assignment

On Friday 30 July 2004 19:56, Michael G. Morey wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1 with hotplug, modutils, pciutils, and
> usbutils back-ports from www.backports.org, on a Dell Latitude D800
> laptop.  I'm running a custom Linux 2.4.26 kernel I've built from a
> Debianized back-port, configured for 16550A UART support for PC card
> devices.  I have a wireless modem PC card device, which maps alternately
> to /dev/ttyS01 and /dev/ttyS02, seemingly at random.  I have a total of
> three serial UART devices, and would like to have devices assigned
> accordingly:
>
> /dev/ttyS0:  built-in serial port
> /dev/ttyS1:  Conexant HSF Softmodem with Linuxant driver
> /dev/ttyS2:  Sony Ericsson EDGE PC Card GC82 wireless modem
>
> On a good boot, the devices are assigned as follows:
>
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttySHSF0 at I/O 0xb400 (irq = 11) is a Conexant HSF softmodem
> ttyS02 at port 0x03e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> However, occasionally, the devices are assigned as follows:
>
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttySHSF0 at I/O 0xb400 (irq = 11) is a Conexant HSF softmodem
> ttyS01 at port 0x03e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> My dmesg output is attached.  I apologize if the attachment is not
> accessible to some.
>
> Does anyone know of a way that I fix the PC Card serial device
> assignment permanently, to /dev/ttyS02?
>
> In general, could anyone offer suggestions as how to fine-tune the
> packages?  When is hotplug appropriate, and when is it not?  Which
> modules should be pre-loaded through /etc/modules?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, /etc/modules should be
used for devices that you are going to use all the time, whereas hotplug is
for things that aren't connected all the time.

The best solution would be to load the modules in /etc/modules.conf of the
respective devices, in the order you want them used.

Seeing as you don't have enough devices and you want to use ttyS02, perhaps a
link in dev would suffice?

cd /dev
rm ttyS02
ln ttyS01 ttyS02

Will cause ttyS01 and ttyS02 to refer to the same physical device.
This should sort out your problem.