Ethernet not working in sarge. Have I done enough?

I've been trying to net-install sarge using the new installer.
The install worked, in the sense that I now have useless but otherwise
working sarge system.

The trouble is that is seems to be unable to communicate with my ethernet
card, a Realtek RTL-8139, for which it has installed the 8139too
module.  I get the messages, repeated many many times:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

ifconfig, route, etc., all tell me things are just fine, just like
on the working woody system.  I used diff on their outputs to confirm
that they really don't have significant differences.
The interrupt address of the realtek card differed, but isn't that
allocated dynamically by plug&play anyway?

It shouldn't be a hardware problem, because everything still
works under the woody system I still have in another partition
on the same machine.

(a) Does anyone have an idea know what else needs to be done
to get it to work?

(b) I sent extensive installation reports about these failed
installs -- bug#261745 for beta 4, and bug#262070 for daily
build 20040727.  Is that enough?  Or are these just accumulated
statistically and do I need to lodge some other kind of report
somewhere?  I do find it hard to imagine anyone reading all these
installation reports and still having time to get any real
debugging done!

-- hendrik@pooq.com