From: David [mailto:dbree@duo-county.com]
Sent: Friday, 30 July 2004 3:39 a.m.
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [OT] Hard Drive shutdown

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:14:51PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> David wrote:

> >I  know  this is not Debian specific, but I'm curious..

> >Yesterday, my HD shut down briefly rather unexplainably to me.

> >I have the following entry in my kern.log (as well as corresponding
> >entries in other logs):

> >------------------ cut -----------------
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 {
> >Busy }
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel:
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: DMA disabled
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0x80
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 {
> >Busy }
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel:
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
> >Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: ide0: reset: success
> >
> >----------------- cut ------------------

> Install, configure and use smartmontools.
> If it doesn't recognise your drive, follow the reporting procedure. In a
> day or two there wil be a new package for you to try.

Thanks for the reply.

What does this package do?  Would it give a more detailed report on what
is going on?  This is what I gather from "apt-cache show".  Actually, I
am not sure if I would have SMART support on this computer or not.  I
don't recall any mention of SMART in regard to my HD (repeating,
WD-400BB), and if the computer is supposed to provide anything of it,
mine probably won't - it's a very old P-166 about 10 yrs old or more.

This is something that has never happened before (AFAIK), and the logs
for the boot don't show any problems in detection of hda.

> He service really is very good.

If you think it might help I will give it a try.