Re: Howto make root commands available to any user

Otto Wyss wrote:

On my desktop system I'd like to make certain commands requiring root
(i.e. halt) available to ordinary users. What choices do are there?
Are there already any script which makes a desktop linux system more
user friendly?

If you are running Sarge (or Sid) you can configure acpid so that you can shut down the system by pressing the power button. You can do it on Woody too (with a 2.4 kernel), but you need to build your own kernel for that.

I think access to some programs such as shutdown is controlled with PAM, so take a look at /etc/pam*

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait