Re: Swap on software RAID1

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Alec Berryman wrote:

> I've been setting up software RAID1 and am wondering what to do about
> swap.  According to the Software-RAID-HOWTO
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2.html), there's
> apparently an 'ongoing debate' on the virtues of using software RAID1
> with swap.

there is zero point in keeping swap .. raid or no raid ...

assuming/given that swap is used for temporary data as if it was memory

when the machine crashes, it lost it state when you reboot,
and it will no longer need its temp data in swap

on the other hand, if one of the disk died, and you have swap
on both disk, you can still be using the swap space from the
remaining disk ... no different than saving data on the remaining disk..

but if you have un-raided swap, one swap on each disk, you have
2x as much swap space ... which can be good or bad ..
	- bad, cause swap is slow anyway (raid1 swap will NOT be faster)
	- good cause you have 2x more swap than raided swap

c ya
alvin