Re: how can other users use X?

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 01:38, James Vahn wrote:
> John van Spaandonk wrote:
> > root@Marius:~# xhost +root
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
> >
> > xhost:  unable to open display ":0"
> > root@Marius:~#
>
> Did whoever started the X server give that command? Try "xhost +marius"

Yes.

> as that user, before su'ing to root. I get "bad hostname" with user names
> like +root.

Me too.

The only thing that worked for me was to set (as the user who started X)

xhost +

After this I can run X apps as root.

Note that the following did not have any effect:

xhost +Marius
xhost +localhost
xhost +127.0.0.1

From my /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost Marius

Anyway, now I found a way that works, although I still cannot selectively
grant access to X.

Thanks for the help!