Re: starting second md device at boot time

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 06:30, Richard Marshall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have built a debian sarge system on a dell poweredge with a pair of
> SCSI disks, but no Raid controller. I have sucessfully configured one md
> raid 1 device (/dev/md0, mounted as the / partition) using the sarge
> installer and the system is functioning very well. I am now trying to
> create a second md raid 1 device on the remaing space on the disks
> (approx 60 GB).
>
> I sucessfully create the raid array (/dev/md1) using mdadm, and a cat
> /proc/mdstat show that the device has been created and is working
> correctly. However, when I reboot the machine, the new raid device
> doesn't start, and I have to go through the whole process again.
>
> How do I get this second raid device to start at boot time with the other
> md device?
>
> TIA
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

Just a few basic questions, since you always try the easy way first.  Are
your partitions that make up /dev/md1 marked as linux raid autodetect (FD)?
Is your second raid device present in fstab?

Once those two things are verified, post the boot up output related to the
second raid array, and maybe we can help more.  Also, post the output
of /proc/mdstat after the boot.

HTH.

Justin Guerin