Re: DNS

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:05:28AM -0600, Marvin Gerardo Aguero Salazar wrote:
> Thanks to all the folks who replied to my original posting. I really do
> appreciate it. What I was looking for was the /etc/resolv.conf approach.
>
> Unfortunately, I just realized that's not what I needed. :-)
>
> I thought the windows boxes of my co-worker's were translating names to
> ip addresses for their DNS set up.
>
> I just realized it was not their DNS but rather the WINS server the one
> that is translating from names to IP addresses.

Perhaps the winbind package will be useful? (No experience with it
though.)

apt-cache show winbind

Package: winbind
 This package provides the winbindd daemon, which provides a
 service for the Name Service Switch capability that is present
 in most modern C libraries (like the GNU C Library - glibc.)
 .
 The service provided by winbindd is called `winbind' and
 can be used to resolve user and group information from a
 Windows NT server. The service can also provide authentication
 services via an associated PAM module.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.