Re: X Question

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:15:34 +0700
cep welly <deb_milist@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> Raquel Rice wrote:
>
> >I've been running 2 servers using Debian for about 6 months.
> >

> well, i assume you're already go in expert zone.
>
> >However, neither has had X installed.  Today I'm setting up a
> >desktop, with X installed.  X starts, but does not appear.  How
> >do I go about bringing up Gnome?
> >

> <sniff>
> well...i take back my previous comment.
> what do you mean by 'but does not appear' ?? is that mean that
> your screen just
> went blank with some error message from X ?? or ...??? then go
> configure X correctly.
> host:~#xf86config
> posting your hw and sw environtment, X configuration, and some
> error message could
> be helpful for others to help you.
> gnome ? apt-get gnome-core
>
> cheers,
>
> --me--
>
> >Thanks!

Yes, it was vague.  Sorry.

I meant to say that when the machine is booted, one of the last
messages which is displayed on the screen is that xserver has been
started.  I am then at the command line.  I'd like to be able to
start Gnome, but don't know how to get there.  Do I need to change
run-levels?  Or ... ?

--
Raquel
When you blame others, you give up your power to change.