Mozilla proportional serif font all bold

After upgrading to mozilla 1.6-5 in testing and gnome 2.6 in testing, the
proportional serif font default displayed in mozilla is always bold.  This happened
on two different machines.  Switching to the san-serif proportional font fixes the
bold problem.  I would like, however, to use a serif font.  Does anyone have a fix
for this?  I don't know if the problem is gnome-related or mozilla-related.  I am
happy to do additional diagnostic testing.

Thanks,
David