Re: Debian crashes

On Monday 26 July 2004 21:32, Tim Raats wrote:
> Debian crashes on the strangest moments. Im running Sarge with kernel
> 2.4.26. When im surfing the internet with Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Debian
> sometimes crashes.

Quick answer: Use a different version/build of Firefox.

Now, are you sure the machine is "crashing"? What does that mean? Can
you install the SSH server and login to it from a different machine, or
ping its address, while it seems "crashed"?

Sometimes a graphical application locks the keyboard and the user
perceives this as a "crash", although it really isn't a system crash -
it's the stupid X server not being able to accept input from the
devices any more. If for example you leave some program with dynamic
output (e.g. top) running in an xterm, do you still see it updating
after the system becomes unresponsive?

Make sure this isn't happening, try to get out of X with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
see if you can troubleshoot from there.

> I dont know what the source of this problem is. Im
> running KDE 3.2.3 also. Please I need help because if I want crashes
> than I should install Window$ again.

If instability is the only thing that annoys you in M$ products, then I
agree with you; you really should.

-A