Re: wrong dial up password

Dougpol1 wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

:>>
:>> Why not just set it up with pppconfig?
:>>
:>>
:> Hi John,
:>    I set up using pppconfig changed the password and all went well.
:> But i still have the problem wvdial is still using the old password.

[...]

The wvdial conf is in /etc/wvdial.conf, I believe.

My point was the lack of utility of vdial. If dialup is working without it, I see no benefit in installing or configuring it.

Hi John,
Been struggeling with this a couple days .I think my brain turned to mush. I meant that I configured PPP and that went well. I was unable to get on line with the command pppd . Is that the correct command? I am having to use windows to get on line so I'll go back to Linux to get the exact error message. To email to you. I know you can't help if you don't have the info.

pon <provider name>
poff <provider name>

You can also set it up in /etc/network/interfaces -
iface Westnet inet ppp
       provider WestNet

and then use ifup/ifdown

I could (I think) also make that auto so as to come up on boot. I'll do that when I have ADSL.

The problem I was having with wvdial was that, on installation wvdial conf. was opened and only partially installed so that I could not bring it up to reconfigure it and I wanted to know how to install wvdial config. I thought you were telling me to somehow reconfigure wvdial using ppp. I hadn't read the section in my book on ppp so I didn't understand what it is. It is a dialup program is this correct?

wvdial is a dialup program, yes. I used it on RHL and it's quite nice at what it does. OTOH, when you install pppd on Debian, you get the configure script too, so there's not much scope for actually using wvdial.

When reading books, be aware of their context. The book is probably correct if, for example, you're compiling from source, or of you're the Debian Developer creating the original package. Also, bear in mind I'm assuming lots about the book you've seen and I haven't.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait