Re: Desktop

on Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 02:33:59AM -0500, RickTaylor@Speakeasy.Net (RickTaylor@Speakeasy.Net) wrote:
> Is there an HTML desktop for linux? That's all I want to run... an
> HTML desktop {like active desktop} and a lightweight windowmanager.
>
> Is it possible to imbed Mozilla somehow? Dillo? A plain HTML canvas?

What do you want to do with this desktop?

If you play with the xscreensaver hacks, you'll find that most of them
(all AFAIK) can be run as a "root" window.

You can pretty much do the same with _any_ application if you:

  - Run it with no decorations (find out what your WM needs to do for
    this).

  - Run it sized to your desktop.

  - Run it pinned to the bottom of your window stack.

  - Enable or disable keybindings, as desired.

While I don't run a browser like this (nor do I think I'd want to), I do
run a number of applications "on the desktop", including xrootconsole
and xload monitors for my networked systems.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.