Safely Upgrading Packages

I've been running Debian on the net for a while. I thought it's time to look
at keeping packages up to date. But when I run apt-get update:

# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  apache apache-common autoconf debconf debianutils e2fsprogs file fileutils
libgd2-noxpm mailman mysql-client
  mysql-server php4 php4-mysql php4-pear shellutils textutils
40 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17  not upgraded.
Need to get 12.0MB of archives. After unpacking 2192kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Why are packages being "kept back". These are precisely the packages I want
to update.

If I try one package:

# apt-get install apache
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache-common file libdb4.1 libmagic1 libtool
  libdb4.1 libmagic1
4 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 53  not upgraded.
Need to get 2268kB of archives. After unpacking 1954kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Why does it all of the sudden want to install libmagic1 when I don't have
that currently installed at all?

Is there a "apt-get update packages just enough so I don't get hacked"
command? :-)

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.