Re: Dependencies in Dir w/ Many .deb Files

Lourens replying to Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:

>  I have a slow Internet connection at home.  :-(
>
>  I can't yet use apt-zip since my home 'ppp' link still doesn't work
>  (non-"8 bit clean" issues) thus prohibiting me from updating the apt
>  database via the net.  :-(
>

>  So, in order to temporarily keep my home system current, I am doing
>  the following:
>
>    o  Updating my office system (both are running pretty much
>       the same configuration of 'sarge')
>
>    o Copying all the newly installed debs on the office machine from
>      /var/cache/apt/archive to removable media
>
>    o  Bringing that media home and copying the deb files to my home
>    hard drive
>
>    o  Finally, I run "dpkg -i *.deb" on those newly transferred file
>

>  The problem with this approach is "*.deb" orders alphabetically
>  instead of by dependency.  I must iteratively run the above command
>  placing needed debs before the final "*.deb" argument.  That takes
>  time (and patience)!
>
>  QUESTION: is there some option to 'dpkg' or another command/script
>  that
>            will generate the file names in an order such that the
>            dependencies are met?
>
>  Thanks for any ideas!

Apologies for the late post (I have been away for a while).

I use the approach described in section 2.2 of the APT Howto "How
to use APT Locally".
Simply copy all the files in /var/cache/apt/archives (office
machine) to, for example, /home/debs (home machine)
in /home -> touch override
in /home -> dpkg-scanpackages debs override | gzip > debs/Packages.gz
add to /etc/apt/sources.list
  -> deb file:/home debs/
apt-get update
apt-get install foo

HTH

*****

Lourens Steenkamp
Enjoying Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2

*****

A monk was traveling and came to a fork in the road.
He stopped, looked at it and decided to leave it there
for someone else to ponder, someone who may need it,
for his own spoon was quite sufficient.