Re: yay! I can print!

On 2004-07-25, Alvin Oga penned:

> hi ya monique
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>> installed lpr.  That gave me permission errors on a non-existent
>> file, namely /var/spool/lpd/<printer>/.seq , iirc.
>
> that'd be normal ... one has to create the right permissions on the
> /var/spool/lpd/<printer>  where <printer> corresponds to the name
> /etc/printcap

I'm pretty sure that's what the magicfilterconfig script was supposed to
do, but it got itself confused enough that it confused me, too.

I never did change the permissions in those directories myself; they
just eventually worked, presumably because of what the package installs
were doing.

Speaking of which, and maybe I'm misunderstanding the process, but where
is it specified that script init.d/A will be executed as user B?

>> Whatever.  I can print now.  I just need to figure out why firefox is
>> printing pages such that four can fit on a sheet ... not that I mind
>> so much, but it's curious.  A matter for another day, I suppose.
>
> a2ps -2 /etc/printcap		- 2 pages per paper w/ borders a2ps -4
> /etc/printcap		- 4 pages per paper
>
> enscript -2r /etc/printcap	- no borders

How do I use these within Firefox?  I just get a drop-down box with a
handful of printing options.

--
monique