bringing ppp connection up as regular user

Hi

After lurking a while on this list and reading the excellent
documentation that comes with the debian testing install I have been
able to solve almost all problems I encountered after switching from
SuSE (which I still run on my dekstop) to Debian on my laptop.

However there is one thing I can't figure out:  I would like to be able
to bring my ppp connection up as a regular user.  As root pon brings up
the connection without problem but as regular user I get the error:
"Error: only members of the 'dip' group can use this command."

So I added my "regular user account" to this group (as root)
adduser m8ram dip

grep dip /etc/group now shows:
dip:x:30:m8ram
but I still get the error mentioned earlier.

AFAIK changes to groups should take effect immediately.  Can anybody
tell me what else I should check?

I am new to debian so I still need to learn more about dpkg, and other
debian configuration commands.  So please explain any such steps in
detail.

TIA

p.s. BTW I'm loving debian, at first it looked as if I wasn't ready for
it, but I'm finding my way quite quickly now, as soon as I feel
comfortable enough I'll swithc my desktop as well!
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)     kernel 2.4.20-4GB      i686     512MB RAM #