Re: Is Linux Unix?

William Ballard wrote:

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 12:30:38AM -0400, Silvan wrote:
But it's true that there's a whole realm of software nobody is likely to develop for Linux because of the diversity. I had to sit by and watch my father build a network of Windows NT boxes because I couldn't write and THOROUGHLY test the software he needed for the cash registers at his workplace.

This was supposed to be the argument for Java. Target Java, meanwhile opensourcers dink with the underlying platform. In the meantime Java gets close enough to the hardware that it's basically like running a VMWare image, only running JavaOS instead of Windows.

Hey doesn't everyone know about mono, dotgnu, and .NET? Right now I can write programs in .NET compile them in linux, put them on a windows machine and run the compiled binaries with no issues. I know a lot of people are anti-MS but I believe Mono is going to be able to bridge the Windows/Linux gap.

hmm this is all about fortran? Hmmm I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks....
Paul