Re: Is Linux Unix?

Ryo Furue wrote:
> Some open source software like GNU emacs runs on most Unixes.
> I bet a LOT of resources went into it.

    Some?  Some!?  slrn, apache, mysql, screen, joe, bind, X, vim, kde,
openoffice, perl, python, php, ruby, just to name a few off the top of my
head.  Some of those are written and maintained by a single person.  Earlier
you wrote...

> The example I gave in my last message about the Intel compilear is a piece
> of evidence which supports my opinion.

    The above examples refute it.  I find it hard to believe that individuals
can find a way to maintain support for many different flavors of unix *IN
THEIR SPARE TIME* yet commercial interests are inexplicably unable to do so
when they are paying people for just that kind of support.